Who we are
Somersham Community Library is run solely by local volunteers for the benefit of the community. Without this facility residents would have to travel to St Ives or Huntingdon to borrow books or access general information. Our volunteers work incredibly hard to ensure the success of the library.
The Friends of Somersham Library are responsible for funding the running of the library and we do this by constant fundraising and applying for grants, all of which is done by volunteers. We also receive support from Somersham Parish Council.
We have links with Cambridgeshire County Council Library Service and anyone who signs up at Somersham Library is automatically a member of the county-wide library service.
Somersham Community Library (FOSL) is a registered charity. Charity number 1149100
- The Library is run entirely by volunteers, there are no paid staff.
- Join at our library and the membership card can be used at any County library.
- There is access to the entire County book stock - an order can be placed for a book from other libraries and collected from our library.
- We have volunteers who do an array of tasks, not just working in the library during opening hours, but tasks such as preparing the books to go on the shelves, sorting the book donations we receive, organising fund-raising events, cleaning, gardening, maintaining the building.
- Free computer and internet access (booking with membership card required), free Wi-Fi.
Free newspapers and magazines to read in the library and on loan.
Local Interest books.
An abundance of information leaflets on health, education, leisure and public transport.
- Village diary and information board so that you can see what's on in the village and surrounding areas.
- Basic computer training
- Colour photocopier, colour printer facilities (small charge).
- Local interest books.
Facilities and equipment:
- Car parking - there is limited parking behind the library and a disabled space at the front. Otherwise please use public car parks (free)
- Accessibility - wheelchair friendly and fully accessible for all
- Photocopier - A4 and A3, black and white, and colour
- Printer - A4 black and white, and colour
- Laminating - A4 document
- Computers - available for library members to use free of charge. Access is available for internet, email and MS Office. Usually limited to one hour per person. Booking with membership card required.
- Free WiFi - you don't need to have a library card to use this service
- Meeting venue for small not-for-profit community groups